Sunday, January 17, 2010

A Weekend of Shopping


Before, I get into all the shopping, here is the promised Henry Cavill photograph. I'm sorry it is so dark, but it is quite clear that it is him. Although, he was definitely the highlight of the night, I really enjoyed The Gloucester Arms, which we have officially adopted as our pub for obvious reasons. I am proud to say that I got a pint of cider and was able to drink the entire thing in about 2 and a half hours, which is pretty impressive considering I dislike alcohol. It tasted pretty good actually.

Anyway, on to the shopping. Maggie and I went to Primark on Friday morning. It is a huge department store something like Walmart, although I've never been to a Walmart. The point is, it is super cheap. T-shirts are only 2 pounds. It was super crowded, but I managed to get a t-shirt, flannel shirt, and sweatshirt for under 15 pounds. Pretty good for pricey London. But I have to say that the walk over there was just as fun. We went through Hyde Park which has the most amazing trees. (Cue photos of trees). The black and white one has Maggie at the bottom taking her usual cool, artsy photos while the other one I really liked because it looked like something out of an Impressionist painting. I didn't know they actually could look like this!

Then we had afternoon tea, which made us truly feel we were in England now. I think I had three big cups of tea, two scones, two sandwiches, and an eclair. It was all SO good and we were all very stuffed. Lauren and I then proceeded to do some major sale shopping at H&M where I got two shirts for 6 pounds. So far, I'm very proud of my thriftiness; however, I did spend a little more on a really cool skirt today when we went to Petticoat Lane Market, but it was worth it. It was actually sunny today (!!) so we decided to take advantage of it to do something outside. However, sunny does not equal warm so we were still very glad to come home to the warmth.
This week should hopefully get us more into a routine of balancing classes with other activities. Our schedule includes another play, another trip to the British Museum, a trip to the Tate Britain, a Vivaldi concert by candlelight, and a trip to Windsor Castle. On top of that, I discovered that one of my favorite authors, Jasper Fforde, author of The Eyre Affair, is in London tomorrow doing a book event very nearby. Talk about perfect timing! So with all of this going on, there will be more exciting news from London very soon. Cheerio for now!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Shannon --

    It's so good to hear about your adventure in London. Your photo of the tree is beautiful and your reference to Impressionism is spot on. Have a pint of cider for me! Keep the news coming -- it's great fun to read. Best to you and your blogger buds.

    ReplyDelete