Monday, January 18, 2010

Baker Street!


I did mostly nothing today. No classes on Monday means that I end up with a 4 day weekend, which I adore. I went grocery shopping twice, and I wandered in the direction of Baker Street.
When Conan Doyle was writing, there wasn't actually a 221B Baker Street, but Holmes is so popular they created it. They even had a blue plaque on the house, which is normally given to residences of writers, artists, musicians, and so on - but Holmes got one with his status as "consultant detective". I didn't get a chance to go inside the museum or gift shop there, but when I have a bit more time I'm definitely going to take a look. Also, there was an old-timey bobby outside the door.
By Baker Street is Regent's Park, which had a lot of birds, including some herons and oddly colored ducks and geese. They really did sound like a cocktail party. Beyond that, I think I like Hyde Park better.
Hyde Park is becoming a daily thing for me. It's therapeutic after being around all the tall building with no sky or trees. And I really love seeing the dogs.
I also went to the pub to watch the football match tonight. It wasn't a premier league game or anything, Newcastle vs. West Brom, so pretty boring. And the pub seems like the kind of place you go when you already know people, not when you're trying to meet people, so my roommate and I didn't really talk to anyone. But in the course of the game I saw one guy get elbowed in the nuts, and another one got headbutted in the face accidentally. So that's good. We might try to go back when there's a better game on - Tottenham has one coming up that should be good.
Also, I got carded trying to buy a Pepsi. Really?

No comments:

Post a Comment