Sunday, January 10, 2010

book hunting!

I discovered that, if all your flatmates are partiers, you can probably wake up early and be first in the shower. I thought I slept fairly late, but apparently I was an early riser. Who knew.
I went book hunting today - there was one textbook that Amazon was having problems with, so I decided to go the Waterstone's near us. I was too early, because I guess none of the stores open until noon, so I went through Hyde Park for a while. I got to see all sorts of dogs - it seems like terriers are popular here, and I saw a fair amount of whippets and dachshunds. Totally made my day. This one spaniel came up to me with a big stick in its mouth and decided to circle my for awhile, then left with his people. It seems like in downtown Madison, dogs aren't nearly as friendly - or maybe their people don't let them be. But here the dogs were let off the lead to socialize as they liked.
After the park I managed to find my bookstore, only to have all the lights go out. They herded us out, and walking back a lot of the shops were similarly dark. Considering it's a big shopping area in a posh neighborhood, I'm not quite sure what was going on. But I had the information for another Waterstone's on Piccadilly, so I decided to try there.
The Tube was fine, no big deal. I only had a couple stops, and that went smoothly. My destination was near the Ritz hotel, which seemed huge and gorgeous and a little out of place with the bright lights adorning it.
And then I realized that all I had was an address, and since I was on the street with well-known things, like Fortnum and Mason's, and Hatchard's, none of the buildings had numbers. So I chose a side of the road and direction, and headed off.
I couldn't find Waterstone's, so I stopped into Hatchard's (where the Queen buys her books!) and tried there. The man at the desk was very nice, considering he had a royal client and I looked like an American schlub. Since they were out of stock, he recommended Waterstone's, and mentioned that the one nearest me (with all the lights out) had a whole pile of them, but the one on Piccadilly had a few.
He told me where to go, and I discovered the largest bookstore in Europe. Waterstone's is 6 stories, almost like a Barnes and Noble's, but quieter and nicer and people go get the books for you if you ask. They have a cafe on the highest floor with a great view. I love it there.
I can't believe I only got one book. And not even one I liked.
Tonight my big excitement was going to the Kensington McDonald's. It's ridiculously nice. There are wooden tables and leather stools and chairs. Even the crappy fast food is posh. Also, they had Fanta there and it was a weird urine-yellow color. Not cool.
I was the American schlub even at McDonald's. Figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment