Saturday, March 6, 2010

Exmouth and Dawlish Warren

After having almost no internet for the duration of my vacation, I'm going to have to do this in bits and pieces so as not to overload everyone, most of all me.
I ended up staying in Exmouth in Devon, right on the Channel. It's a cute little resort town with a huge beach, something that is rare in Devon. I stayed at a B&B run by a little Italian lady who called me sweetheart and made me scrambled eggs on toast.
Side note - the full English breakfast apparently involves a fried egg (slimy), sausage, bacon which is more like ham, baked beans, and a stewed tomato, such as you would find in my mother's chili. I don't know about you all, but I believe that eggs should be bone-dry and bacon should be crisp. Hence, no more English breakfasts for me. They're just not my cup of tea. So when the Italian lady mentioned scrambled eggs, I jumped at it.
Also, she had a dog that ran around the house and was totally adorable.

Exmouth is best known for being part of the Jurassic Coast. There are these massive red cliffs a ways down the beach which were formed in the Triassic Period, about 250 million years ago. I walked that area twice, once on the beach and once from up top.There really wasn't much to do there other than that, so I went to a few cities in the area, but pretty much my schedule was:
7:50 - Wake up
8:00 - Breakfast
8:30 - Nap
10:00 - Go do something
3:00 - Come back, fiddle with pictures4:00 - Nap
6:30 - Go find dinner
7:00 - Eat/watch TV/read
12:00 - Go to bed

I ended up taking 600 pictures in the course of 4 days.
Another place I went was Dawlish Warren, across the estuary. This was Wednesday, really the only day I was there that it wasn't sunny. It was a little chilly in the Exmouth town center, but not too bad. And yet somehow living in a city between two lakes, in a state between two giant lakes, I did not realize that right on the water it could be massively different, as in windy and cold.So I froze my ass off in the Dawlish Warren nature reserve, which is probably beautiful when it's sunny and summery. Not so in March. It was cold and windy and pretty bleak. I didn't end up going to the moors, but I imagine this is what it would have been like - flat, with lots of scrub, but no real place to get away from the elements. The main difference I think is that moors probably don't have sand dunes. Sand dunes + wind = constantly taking pictures because the camera is protecting my eyes.
I'm making it sound awful. It really wasn't. I could have used some better planning and gone when it was sunny, and saved the indoor things for a crappy day, but oh well.

I also went to Exeter and saw the cathedral there, but I'm going to do that in a separate post because my dad asked about the clock. I'm currently without my touristy information guides, so that will have to wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment