Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Insert witty title here

Belated Birthday shout out to my brother! In true Anastos style, expect a really belated birthday card.

Last week was glorious as my parents were visiting. This meant not only staving off the ever present homesickness for a few days and enjoying family time, but also eating REAL food and touring historical edifices for free! Thanks parental unit! Amongst the many places we visited were the Tower of London and Westminster Abbey. Description time:

The Tower of London: As my mom stated, "I feel like I'm in a BBC film." So true, mumsie. Walking in a place that was entrenched in so much history, literally standing where famous figures such as Anne Boleyn had stood was unreal. Unlike most girls, my most exciting experience came not upon viewing the crown jewels, but on entering Lady Jane Gray's cell. After freaking out quite audibly (to the consternation of those around me), I was able to calm down enough to notice the etchings and carvings on the walls. Supporters of Lady Jane had pledged their allegiance to her even after she was executed. So there I was, standing where Lady Jane Gray had stood, looking at people's testimonials from 500 years ago, and imagining the fright she must have experienced in the dim, cold cell. Reader, it was unreal.

Westminster Abbey: Way cool place with way cool dead people buried there. Ok, I'll be more specific. So, I kinda, sorta saw the tomb of most of the Tudors, the Edwards, Richard the III (!!!!!) and, you know, Queen Elizabeth and Queen Mary. The last two were hilarious really because enemies in life, they would not be pleased with their current burial arrangements. They are buried one on top of the other - that is Elizabeth on top of Mary (bite it, Mary!), all sisterly and whatnot. Oh, the irony! Poet's corner, a section dedicated solely to authors was also quite to my taste (Chaucer is buried there!), as was the music section where Handel's body now lies.
Oh, silly me! I haven't actually given you a description of the abbey, have I? Dear me. Well, look it up, google image it, check out a picture book because all I can say is that it's magnificent.

Friday I went to Bath where I fulfilled my Jane Austen inspired dream of going to the Roman Baths, the Pump and Assembly Rooms and walking along the Royal Crescent. These specific places are mentioned in two of her novels: Northanger Abbey and Persuasion. Interestingly enough, Northanger Abbey, her first novel, presents Bath in a very positive light, yet after living there herself, Austen depicts it in a negative tone in Persuasion. Huh. I myself have mixed feelings about Bath and need to further sort them out. In a fit of bravery I even "took the water" - a nasty, metallic water that bubbles up from the Earth's core. Although it contains 43 minerals including calcium and iron, I didn't fancy it much.

In other news I just finished two papers on which I procrastinated a ridiculous amount. In London everyone has the mentality of, "Papers? Homework? What's that? Library? Studying? Huh?" Clearly, this is not conducive to getting things done, let alone putting a lot of effort into work. Thus, I have speed-written some pretty mediocre bullshit this past week. C'est la vie.

Love you, Lovers!
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment