Saturday, February 13, 2010

My Artsy Side Part 2

Today I took the short train ride out to the Dulwich Picture Gallery. This is the gallery my mom interned at when she lived here *cough cough* years ago. It is a smaller gallery, but still has a lot of famous painters. My favorites were by Gainsborough, Rubens, Canaletto, and Jan van Huysum. Gainsborough's are usually portraits of people, but I always like their clothes which are usually flowy and ruffly. His brushwork is very Impressionist-like too. I like Rubens because of his female nudes (which he takes every opportunity to paint). The women he paints are normal looking (aka not anorexic!) which is not a common thing to see nowadays. He also usually paints mythological scenes and stories. I love me some mythology. The Canaletto was of Venice of course. It was amazing because of the extreme detail of the buildings and the gondolas. It made me want to go there right now! Although, I always want to go to Venice. Finally, Jan van Huysum paints really cool still lifes of flowers. They are painted on a dark background so the vibrant colors of the flowers really stand out. Plus he includes bugs and butterflies crawling over the flowers which are fun to look for and add a realistic touch to the already breathtakingly realistic flowers.

Also, a shout out thank you to my grandma for sending me chocolates and snacks! Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment