Friday, February 12, 2010

Seduced by School

Bonjour mes amis!
I'm going to start this long-winded, yet only vaguely detailed post by reverting all the way back to last Friday, when my program took us to Oxford. As Maggie mentioned, Oxford represents all that is groovy. From associations with Harry Potter and His Dark Materials, to ancient Gothic architecture and a vibrant college atmosphere, this place is sacred ground. After touring the beautiful cathedral and Christ Church College, I wandered around the town a bit, noting the lovely and comfortable aura. You know that feeling you're supposed to get when you step foot on the college campus that's right for you? I definitely got it at Oxford. Of course. One of the hardest schools to get into, as well as one of the most expensive. Figures. That didn't stop me from perusing the prospectus, however. Fifty minutes later I knew what I wanted to major in at graduate school...that is, until I realized that I never intended to go to graduate school in the first place. Damn you, Oxford! You've hoodwinked me with your charms! I've been seduced by a school! Oh dear, that's rather pathetic, isn't it?

And moving on in what is the most brilliant segueway of the year, I went salsa dancing three times this week! Well, two times at an actual club; once was at the salsa club of Imperial College. In one week I learned so much, sustained minor injuries, met wicked cool people, wore out my shoes, and had an absolute blast. If you're thinking right now that this sounds like a lot of social time for my recluse self, you would be correct. This weekend I am anticipating a quiet and uneventful few days full of much sleep, homework, practicing and tea drinking. It will be lovely!

In other news, I got a call back for Imperial College's radio play production of "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and I found out I got the female lead! Before the read-through, I had never gone near the book, naively placing it in the dorky science-fiction category in which I had no interest. I was mistaken. This book/movie/radio play is absolutely hysterical. Seriously, if you haven't read it, go to the library and pick up a copy. I'm serious. Do it. Now. So after finding out I got the part, I decided I should probably do some research on my character, Trillian, whom I found out is a calm and sensible neurologist. Sounds a lot like me, huh? Preeeeeeetty funny. Anyhow....

I'm depressing myself with the terrible writing I am exemplifying in this post. Plus, I have a violin lesson I have to get to.

Salut,
Lauren

No comments:

Post a Comment