Wednesday, May 5, 2010

ROMA by Lauren with commentary by Shannon

Ah, Roma! Dean Martin had it right when he said "That's amore". It's quite easy to fall in love with the beautiful sights, smells and tastes of Italy.
The first day, Shannon and I explored the Vatican after waiting in a line for two and a half hours. It was well worth the wait. Although I didn't bump into the Pope, I was able to walk around this massive structure and enjoy paintings by Raffael and Michelangelo...in other words, two out of the four ninja turtles. While the Sistine Chapel was perfectly lovely, the hoards of people and the ensuing bottleneck provided a rather uncomfortable atmosphere. In contrast, the Basilica of St. Peter was absolutely marvelous. Of all the churches, this was obviously the most impressive with its large dome and magnificent frescoes. However, my favourite place of worship (of all 900 we visited) was a small chiesa that fulfilled the three necessary components to my definition of a perfect church. First of all, it smelled of a combination of incense and old, musty wood. Secondly, it was a visual masterpiece with frescoes and sculptures dotting the walls and ceilings. Thirdly, it was quiet and allowed a person to think and enjoy the peaceful retreat from the chaos of the city. I always find comfort in entering churches such as this...they immediately provide a sense of calm and serenity. Furthermore, this church allowed people to wander everywhere - including down a winding stone staircase into the crypt. Shannon did not care to join me in this endeavor, and so I went alone. It was completely creepy and quite frightening, but also, meh, I hate this word but I'm going to use it anyway, cool. Dimly lit, it consisted of a large stone room with an altar to one side and a corridor leading off to the right, where two, partially open wooden doors were present. I did not go behind these doors...call me superstitious, but I was pretty sure that no good could come of it.

I also enjoyed all the churches and I have to say that I probably sat in more pews in the last three days than I have in my entire life....or since I was last in Italy. Let's just say my religious views are not the same as Lauren's. Therefore, I appreciated the plethora of churches for different reasons. First, one of my favorite sculptures ever is in St. Peter's Basilica. It is Michaelanglo's sculpture of Mary holding her dead son across her lap and looking at him in a way that is both devastating but proud. I fell in love with this statue the first time I was in Italy, when I was 7, so needless to say its powerful display of devotion has stuck, even in the mind of a dedicated atheist. I admired all the smaller churches, too, noticing how each one was unique in its design, art, and atmosphere. Some of the sculpture and the frescos were truly amazing.

The time has come for the description of the Colosseum and the Roman Forum. They rocked, ok? Like literally, since they were built in the Days of Yore from stones. AHAHAHAHAA!!! Lauren made a funny! (You can't see it, but I'm rolling my eyes.) But seriously, way COOL. The part I loved best, however, was the garden connecting the two. Poor Shannon, I told her I'd be back in a minute, but the meadows, the copses and the gardens enthralled me and held me captive. (Quick side note, I'd already been in said gardens and knew that she was going to go in and never want to come out and that when she finally did come out, she'd be raving about how it reminded her of the Secret Garden and how she wanted to live there forever. So I found a cozy rock and waited.....) It was green, and odiferous (in a good way) and shady. Additionally, there were a few houses dotting the landscape that looked so rustic that I pranced with glee. You know the kind, shutters and flower boxes and whatnot.

The Trevi Fountain and the Spanish Steps were our go-to at night as we sat in one of the two locations and watched the sun set while eating our third cone of gelato that day. LOVELY LOVELY! Does it get any better? Methinks not. I've discovered that my favorite gelato remains Stracchiatella (chocolate chip) which was the only kind I would eat when I was 7....

PIZZA! I had not tasted pizza before Italy. The way they do the sauce...the spices...I can't put my finger on it, but it is luscious and delectable. Needless to say, much pizza has been consumed. Pizza and gelato every day. We are healthy eaters over here. And thank goodness that our next stop is Florence (hence, still in Italy) so we may continue to chow down on pizza and gelato. Because we aren't quite ready to stop eating them....

Today consisted of the pantheon, the Piazza Novona and a lovely area south of the Vatican that contained lovely parks and fountains. No more detail at present since we have to get going, but (faithful reader) be aware of a funny story coming up that we can't divulge in our present circumstances.

Ciao for now!!!!
Lauren and Shannon

No comments:

Post a Comment